Tropical Fish Forum
February 18, 2018, 09:40:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Tropical Fish Fourm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

freshwater tank- need help

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: freshwater tank- need help  (Read 151 times)
Em10
Fish Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:37:42 pm »

ok guys, i'm new to fishkeeping so just bear with me here. After losing three fish ( A betta, angel, and goldfish) I now have one angel, one turquoise rainbow fish, one gourami, and 5 tetras in a 20 gallon tank. These fish are doing quite well i think.

I'm just so upset because I wasn't told that angels needed at least 10 gallons a piece(i originally had three but the largest killed the other two), and the fish store i got them ALL from never informed me that my goldfish couldn't be with my tropicals, which ended up being a mess. My betta stopped eating and just died on me...and after all this stress FINALLY my tank is clear again, my fish seem happy, and im not constantly being upset about the health of the fish.

BUT, i have one question.... i wanna add more fish, maybe a ram or an oscar? but they can get large from what ive looked at on the internet. I need advice as to what i should add and how many, also what might look nice. i like neon tetras but i heard angels eat them. someone PLEASE help... i am reluctant to go to my local fish aquarium store because they just sell me whatever they can to make money and i hate killing fish/ having to euthanize them. I am very attached to whatever i bring home and when they die i am always on the verge of crying. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Em

Social Buttons

squish
Administrator
Fish Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »

Hi.  With a 20 gallon tank,  you don't want to overcrowed your tank. The more fish you have even with a good filter system your tank can build up tockins
which can kill fish fast.  I stick to small to medium fish.
No more then 6 to 8 fish for know.
Report Spam   Logged

dekker
Fish Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:18:18 am »

hi Em

nice to meet you, i think with the stock you have left now i would stick with them for a while give things a chance to settle down, as for an oscar they get for too big for you size tank they need at least 30/40 galls as they can get to 12/14 in, i would also keep an eye on your angle as it may see you neons as food when it gets to adult size, you have a nice selection so just enjoy your setup and keep us informed of how things are going, also visit a few lfs and just have a talk with the staff when you find one that is very helpful just get your stock from them, then you know everything should be ok hope this helps you Em.

ho yeah and welcome to TFF.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Dekker
Em10
Fish Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:36:51 am »

ok thanks, i just have no clue what i'm doing and ive had to learn as i go. just sucks that i had to kill fish to have any idea!
Report Spam   Logged

Em
squish
Administrator
Fish Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

How is it going?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: